Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Pinwheel Bento

For the past year, I've been in search of the perfect Gluten Free Tortilla for wraps.  Simple corn tortillas are great for the purpose they serve, however, once refrigerated, every one I've tried has crumbled into cornmeal.  The wraps I used today are a blend of corn, rice and buckwheat and while they hold their shape, they are almost completely flavorless.  I may try my own recipe this week and if they are decent, I'll post my results.

But, I'm not going to lett a flavorless tortilla ruin Pinwheel Day.  Pinwheels are the perfect lunch food: when stored correctly, they are clean bites of deliciousness and always a conversation starter.  I split a wrap in two for today's lunch:

  • The Turkey pins are Boar's Head Mesquite Smoked Turkey (Not an endorsement, however I have had issues with other brands of deli meat.) and 1 tbsp sour cream mixed 1 tbsp fresh salsa.  Spread the salsa mixture evenly from edge to edge of the wrap and place the turkey in the first third of the wrap.  Roll tightly and wrap in plastic wrap.  Freeze for 10 minutes and slice.
  • On the other half I have natural crunchy peanut butter and Simply Fruit* Black Cherry preserves which unraveled a bit in transit...but it was equally delicious.
I rounded out my meal with green beans, edamame, apple and orange slices and a hard boiled egg.   The sauce container holds a bit of honey mustard dressing which I forgot to use.  This was the perfect pre-spin lunch that ended up being just lunch (the rain delayed my ride to this evening.)  Happy Pinwheel Day everyone!

*Note: Beware of any preserve that indicates "with fiber" as the additional added fiber may be sourced from a product containing gluten.  I stick with products that I can pronounce each ingredient, if I can't, it is not worth the trouble.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment